We Have Fire


How lighters have not become a hit in the villages, I have no idea. Everything they do is with fire. Their stoves, their lanterns, their garbage disposal, their bong pipes.

Anyway, I brought candles and lighters to the village, knowing very well we'd have zero electricity. The first night we were there, Bina (the bride and my cousin), wanted to light a lantern for us. It was already dark, and low and behold she couldn't find it. I offered my candle and lighter (I only had one bag so I knew exactly what it was). I took it out and lit the candle with my lighter. The expression on Bina's, Mamiji's and her three kids face was priceless. Mamiji asked me in Hindi to do it again. And again. And again. They all took a try at it. I didn't realize lighters were so complicated to use. Turn the knob with your thumb and press the button, all in one motion. Like this. No, like this. Press it harder.

I cant even remember the first time I used one and how I learnt to use it. I just can't remember not ever using one.

I wonder what and if the lighters left a deep enough impression to be a permanent village-hold item.

No comments:

Post a Comment