Bihar: First Impressions

We landed in Patna and right at the gate were Mamu and his two sons, Abhishek and Aman (Chottu). Cutest kids ever! The Patna airport reminded me a lot of the Cabo airport in Mexico. You have to walk to the terminal from the plane, the plane only has 2 baggage terminals, hagglers trying to hassle you for your bags and money, yup sounds like Mexico to me. Luckily Mamu was right there..we didnt get hasseled to much, although a guy insisted on pushing our luggage 50 feet to Mamu, and costed us 20 rupees. (Smallest change we had).

We get into our hired car, the car had AC so the heat hadn't hit me yet. Abhishek and Chotu didnt say much...And neither did Mom or Mamu. I wondered what I would do if I hadnt seen Jay for 4 years. Probably jump in his godhi :P

As soon as we got out of the airport area, there was Patna Zoo! HAHA! I dont know why, but this really tickled me. Anyway, I asked Abhishek what kind of animals were in the zoo. And this question began Abhisheks 7-day speaking spree. I'm telling you this kid is going to be a writer or some type of story-teller. Amazingly cute.

The road near the airport was very much like Mexico, but one right turn later, pure chaos. Our driver used his scooter sounding horn as if it was permanently on. Horns in India are used to tell the other folks in the road that I am behind/next to you, so get out of the road. And surprisingly, everyone moves. Everyone but the cows that is...

Rickshaws, tum-tums, bhel gadis, motorcycles (Hero Hondas)..Bazaars, people going marketing (marketing: shopping at the markets). I felt like we were driving too fast..I didn't have enough time to soak it all in...even though our odometer said 20 km/h. 7 more days, I am sure I'll have more stories to tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment